WILDLIFE (COYOTE) KILLING CONTESTS: THE ANTITHESIS OF RESPONSIBLE WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AND WHAT SPORTSMEN CLAIM AS VALUES. HELP US END THESE EVENTS IN NEVADA.
At the November 13-14, 2015 meeting of the Nevada Board of Wildlife Commissioners (NBWC) in Reno, we will be re-presenting our petition to NBWC, asking it to create regulations which prohibit such events from occurring in Nevada. Our original petition which was presented to NBWC in March, 2015 met with procedural difficulties which were resolved by giving us the opportunity to revise the petition and present it again.
Several wildlife (coyote) killing contests have occurred in Nevada over the past few years. Over 200 such events have taken place across the nation as well. While such events require a Special Recreational Permit from the Bureau of Land Management in order to use BLM land in Nevada (so far none have been requested or granted), event organizers and participants are free to conduct these activities on U.S. Forest Service land or on private or checkerboard lands.
We believe these event can be clearly defined, and the rationale for prohibiting them can be easily stated using existing examples of “hunter ethics” and by referring to tenets of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation which do not support such activity. Also, current science regarding coyote population dynamics suggests that such events may contribute to coyote predation problems.
HOW TO HELP:
- Read our petition. Also, read Dr. Crabtree’s monograph on coyote population dynamics and the Project Coyote letter from scientists opposing these events which are supporting documents for this petition.
- Attend the NBWC meeting. Our petition is likely to be heard on Friday morning, November 13th, probably around mid-morning. Exact details will be posted a week or two prior to the meeting. Be sure to check for specifics. Public comment will be taken. Speakers are generally limited to 3 minutes.
- Support our petition by sending emails or other correspondence to NBWC:
- Jeremy Drew, Chairman: [email protected]
- Grant Wallace, Vice Chairman: [email protected]
- Chad Bliss: [email protected]
- Brad Johnston: [email protected]
- David McNinch: [email protected]
- Peter Mori: [email protected]
- Paul Valentine: [email protected]
- Bill Young: [email protected]
- Kerstan Hubbs: [email protected]
- Send emails or other correspondence to the Nevada Department of Wildlife:
- Send an email or other correspondence to Governor Sandoval. He appoints the members of NBWC and exerts the only influence on the otherwise autonomous NBWC.
- Letters to the Editor are always welcome: e.g. [email protected]
- Visit and share our website, Nevada Wildlife Alliance. It will contain updated information as it develops.
- Visit and share our Facebook page: Nevada Wildlife Alliance. Updated information will be posted there as well.
- Visit and share the website of TrailSafe Nevada, a local advocacy group, and Project Coyote, a national group which work on this and other important wildlife issues.
- Send Don Molde an email: [email protected] if you need something more specific.
THANKS FOR HELPING!!!!
Please check here for updates on the meeting
THANKS FOR HELPING!!!!